Friday, December 27, 2013

Resolution Reversal For The New Year


Well, here we are at the end of another year. A time when most start making those New Year’s resolutions. I myself am often a victim of the Resolution game…only to feel like a failure by mid-February. So this year I am going to try a little resolution reversal. Instead of making a list of things I want to do in 2014, I am going to make a list of what I’m NOT going to do.

I am NOT going to take my health for granted. Several friends and people I care about faced health battles in 2013 that I can’t even begin to imagine. I am starting 2014 healthy, for that I am thankful and I don’t intend to squander it!  

I am NOT going to spend more time with my kids. Not because I don’t want to, but because, frankly, their schedules don’t allow it. They are all at ages where they are busy with their own activities and don’t have a lot of time leftover for, well, me. (They’ve chosen good, healthy activities and are happy, so it’s okay.) So instead of having unreasonable expectations, I will just vow to focus on the quality of time spent with them, rather than on quantity. I can sure make the most of those moments spent in the car, in the kitchen making dinner, and when telling them good night.

I am NOT going to ignore the needs of my neighbors. I am already involved in several community groups, but in the new  year I may focus on helping individuals in need. They are everywhere I look. Some may need food, some may need my time, often I’ll bet, they’ll only need encouragement. I think I might start not doing this one today.

I am NOT going to read more in 2014. Instead, I am going to write more. For the past several years, I have probably averaged reading a book a month. And now I have the makings of a book of my own in my head and this may be the year I get it down on paper (or on a flashdrive as the case may be).

I am NOT going to stop sweating the small stuff, because for me it is the small stuff that can make such a big difference. Issues that some people may deem small…are huge to me. It is just the way it is, so might as well stop fighting myself on it.

I am NOT going to take up a new hobby. The hobby I currently have, Rick Springfield and his music, keeps me plenty busy, and frankly helps keep me sane (okay, so this point may be debatable). Instead, maybe I’ll  focus on enjoying that hobby even more. So all this basically means is that he needs to beef up his Midwest Tour Schedule! J (Rick, I hope you’re reading this.)

By NOT doing the above, I believe I will NOT lose sight of what truly matters in my life; family, community, things that make me, me. I will not lose sight of what makes this The Good Life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment